Federal Materials Company
Federal Materials Company supplies concrete, sand, gravel and pre-cast and construction products, and plays a major role in commercial development and residential building throughout western Kentucky. From bridges and educational facilities to hospitals and residential homes, FMC has proudly served businesses, government, and individual homeowners for over 70 years.
Norman L. Hely purchased FMC in 1931. Hely found concrete success when the Paducah floodwall was built in 1940. FMC was one of the first ready mixed concrete producers in western Kentucky, using concrete sand and mortar sand dredged directly from the Ohio River.
Hely operated two plants (Riverfront Paducah, KY and Cape Girardeau, MO) until 1972. His wife, Sue Hely Fendley, then took ownership of FMC and was president of the company until 1981.
In 1980, the City of Paducah began expansion and revitalization efforts across town.
A Paducah-based construction company was commissioned to pave the downtown Paducah loop and Federal Materials Company supplied the concrete. Billy Harper, owner and founder of the construction company, was interested in the ready mixed industry; he purchased Federal Materials Company from Hely in 1981. This proved a worthwhile investment: As concrete paving opportunities increased in Western Kentucky, Harper controlled the source of the ready mixed concrete supply.
Federal Materials Company is operated by president Tammy Partain and a team of specialized administrative, sales, and delivery professionals.
Federal Materials Company is progressive and competitive, employing emerging technologies, varieties of construction products and strategic planning to expand its regional market.
Federal Materials Company fleet contains 48 concrete mixer trucks, five cement tankers, four delivery trucks for construction products/pre-cast and four material trucks, supported by seven plants located in Bardwell, Calvert City, Cadiz, Grand Rivers, Mayfield, Murray, and Paducah.
Contact us with any questions you may have!